August 11, 2009

Helvetica

I'm no longer getting great value from my Netflix subscription. After initially burning through about fifty films, the DVD train has lost some steam. I have, however, been utilizing the streaming content they offer on the web. I'm currently in the third season of The Office (golden days for the now-hackneyed American series).

A few nights ago I had the pleasure of watching Helvetica, a film about the font.

helvetica

Ostensibly a collection of interviews regarding this prevalent typeface, Helvetica contains keen allegorical insight to the aspirations and failures of modernism. This documentary is well conceived and executed, and the broader subtext will appeal to folks outside the realm of graphic design. Highly recommended, especially for Netflix users - watch it on your computer!

No comments:

Post a Comment