July 10, 2009

Five hundred years

The title character in Paul's Case (Willa Cather, 1905) grew up sleeping in a bed adorned with portraits of George Washington and John Calvin - how sexy. I first read this short story in a literature class at Calvin College.

Today is the 500th anniversary of John Calvin's birth. Going to see Wilco tonight, I hope they commemorate by playing "Theologians".....they don't know nothing about my soul.

Our love is all of God's money
I often wonder what historical people whose names bear an ism would think if they could glimpse the world, say, five hundred years after their time (i.e. - John Calvin's take on contemporary Calvinism). I find it amusing, sometimes frightening, to consider the possible reactions.

"Wait, wait, wait. That's not at all what I was trying to say."

"Yeah, we used to think a lot of things back then."

"You didn't take all that seriously, did you?"

".....and you call it Christianity? Yikes."

No comments:

Post a Comment